Sunday 12 January 2020

BREAKING: Pukekohe dropped for Hampton Downs in 2020

So Auckland's council has decided that no car racing can take place during Anzac Day, so Supercars have been forced to change the track they're racing at in 2020 from Pukekohe to Hampton Downs.

This is the piece of legislation that triggered the change.
Clause I434.6(1) of the Auckland Unitary Plan states that “There must not be any use of the track by motor vehicles, except for vehicles undertaking maintenance in all of the following circumstances,” with subsection (b) specifically stating “Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and Anzac Day“.

Since the Anzac weekend has been used for the 2020 season, the location had to be changed, despite precedent from 2014.

I've heard that Auckland Council is Anti-Car, but having seen the nightmarish traffic jams that can happen in and out of Auckland when my family visited New Zealand a couple of years ago, it's pretty bad.

Apparently, ATEED and Supercars had both not been informed somehow about the changes until Christmas, which forced the switch.

Well, in my view, this is an interesting development. I've seen a bit of racing at Hampton Downs years back, so I'll be interested to see what's changed about the track in the time since I saw it.

The international track is also being used, which is cool.

So, I think this is going to be cool, and I am interested to watch the race there. It sounds like there is a bit of work that needs to be done around the stands, but I hope it'll all be ready for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment